violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Lesson Night

violin
Practiced a little over an hour before class. Same as last night--Gavotte/Etude/incidentals.... The Gavotte is coming along nicely. I get a little embarrassed because, it's been a 'long' time since I've learned this much music, and even then did so more at a leisurely pace as I could versus what I'm experiencing now. To make a long story short, it's awesome. I think the embarrassing part though is that I know good and well that even though the violin is very challenging in terms of mechanics and kinesiology--a player in space with their instrument, the songs are way cool to me. The Gavotte, and a couple more pieces for me, really are challenging--but most importantly 'way dynamic.'

Lately I've been contemplating range, scale, scope, semantics, and where I would want to go with this. I'm certain I want to be able to accompany other music with the background string-strains. I also know for certain, I would want to be able to do Baroque type things, and maybe even chamber orchestra. And in that violin is the underestimated king of the orchestra these days, and in that I 'really' don't have that much experience being around the violin or even particularly noticing the violin other than in bits and pieces, I'm also discovering an intensely hot dynamic instrument that overwhelms my imaginings. So, as I began with an impulsive purchase of the instrument, not knowing it would completely dominate my love for it, I'm really at a loss along these lines. But, that's ok too. Like other things, I'm just getting it down in words, and will have to be patient. One option is to allow the violin to express itself through me, as I see the nature of the way God naturally unfolds through a person's life in universal terms(not a religious comment).

I've been tracking my new lady as she moved from Texas to Memphis since yesterday. I'm sure she will arrive in town sometime tomorrow for Friday delivery. I'm trying to refrain from getting over excited, because the sobering reality is that my instructor hasn't played the instrument yet and a great deal depends on her impressions.

--------------------------------

Stacatto: The three finger exercise--will have to review it again.


The Gavotte:
Same amount of bow in first two measures, and similar measures throughout to achieve not only a clean stacatto, but also the accent phrasing.
Measure 4, note 1, is an A--I've been playing it wrong.( a 'g' instead of a--a wrong pattern translation from measure 1).
Part two, measure 1: Do not speed the bow up when doing the slur.
Work on a purist exercise--the one we created tonight--for Stacatto, using song 2. Keep the half notes as they are, and maybe even cantabile...