violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

violin

October 22
My left hand continues to be an issue, but I had intensive massage and treatment on it today and it feels better.

I finally got a direction on staccato---how embarassing--and am lettin my left hand rest one more day before getting back to work.

Following are some notes related to staccato and vibrato from a Suzuki Teacher over in Violinist online.

Hi,Al, I've been a Suzuki teacher for 35 years, and also have experience teaching adult novices. I have some sense that you may be trying to do too much too soon. The Suzuki staccato bowing, up until maybe Book 4, is typically a relatively heavy, short stroke on the string. After that,we lighten it and start getting it off the string by bowing with a feeling of very shallow "smile shapes" somewhere between the bow's center and the balance point. Ditto vibrato. Dr.S. wrote that players should commence vibrato only when their independently-achieved pitch was excellent. They should try making a vibrato sound, and between player and teacher, decide on which finger has best sound and best-looking technique. Vibrate that whenever it comes up, and don't worry about the other fingers for a while. A good teacher should be able to describe what's happening to pitch when we vibrate, and demo the several different kinds. There's enough other vibrato posts that I probably shouldn't review all that here. Luck! Sue