violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Practice Notes (Denti arrives)

Played well over three hours--lost track of time. Gave the new Frank Denti a grueling workout--I'm convinced. The resonance is there, the volume is there, and the price is right. Used the metronome a bunch--this metrononme thing is going to work. Played the Gavotte until I got sloppy, and quit. Played the etude three times in a row with no 'major' pain. Focused on bowing farily intently. Though in the words of another, "one never gets good at bowing", I am at least improving. Played the Musette almost up to speed. I still have a long way to go on it, even the Gavotte, but it sounded pretty good. The objective however, is not to hold my breath focus like heck and 'get through it'. The objective is to be able to play it at speed comfortably.


I contaced another instructor today to supplement my primary instructor, where I will focus exclusively on vibrato and double stops. I simply cannot wait much longer to focus on vibrato and will disuss this decision with my primary instructor. It's not so much the patience thing, as my tendency to cheat, creating more bad habits. Anyway, time will tell.


I didn't focus as much on tonalization a I did yesterday. I played through Greensleeves several times. Played like once, with Ave Maria.


Summa: The Denti-yes!