violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Practice Notes

Practice Time: Two Hours


I hammered the Musette (2-2), and got through the entire thing seven or eight times. I also was 'fairly' successful in teaching myself to slow down to the speed necessary, and to focus--almost every pass.... That's truly a good-thing. The Musette, is wondefully challenging for learning to divide the bow, so at this point is still a little slow and awkward, but I look forward to what this means in the long run.


I focused intently on the remaining Gavotte rift, using our agreed upon against the wall approach. It appears to be working, and I want to explore focusing on this technique hopefully to help my left hand regain it's confidence post injury--I'm still considering Hannon's Virtuoso Pianist for this.


I also hit the Minuette rift (dragging 4th finger) issues with some success.


Overall I stayed focused on remaining issues in Suzuki 1, the Etude, and the Musette. Played 2-1 a few times as well (I've been adding accents to 2-1 that hopefully will help me quit spazzing out because of not knowing, or using, vibrato). I also, started the listening part to 2-3, and played around with the first theme a little. It will be excellent in beginning to flex out my treatment, especially along with 2-2.... 2-4, is going to be cool as well, as it will take me into areas that I'm already very comfortable with in making songs step outside the box. And, I also listened to my first major goal in Suzuki 2--the Brahms Waltz (yes I'm blushing--it's all that--down boy down!).