violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Practice Notes

violin
Practiced a little over two hours last evening/night. Though I didn't find my metronome, I did find a cool one online, that with my speakers allows me to control the volume. Same progression as recently--gavotte, etude, incidentals. Started applying the even bow length to other minuets wth some success--evolving... The new violin arrived in Charleston last night. I'm looking forward to trying her out.
I decided to add Mel Bay's solos to the mix as I go into Suzuki volume 2 for instructors benefit as well--she likes the songs. Briefly looking at the table of contents, I feel I will too....


I've been working on overall direction and have been exploring the possibility of using the standard 'grade x' approach. I'll talk with my instructor about it, so besides using up through Suzuki 4, we will have a more organized plan as I figure out what to do long-term . It's not really clear what the grades mean, but I feel I need this structure, or some structure to judge my progress.

My instructor was practicing when I got to lesson Wednesday--my God!. She quit just as I got into good hearing distance, and I teased her that she should quit tantalizing me!!!!!. She's so good, not only with the violin, but with people.

While I'm a little high strung, I'm working on putting my direction etc., in my instructor's hands within the context of this discussion so far; and, as long as the flexibility exists for me to be able to allow my interpretive instinct to evolve. I've always had to be responsible for my own progress in these ways, so this will be new for me.

I saw some players on some Country Music Association show the other night, and it was awesome!. Along the same line, several months ago I got home from my lesson and WSAZ was broadcasting an "Eagles" concert. I jumped right in there and even had rifts from Desparado going along before the song finished--that was equally aweome! The point I think, is that as I learn to let my instructor take the helm in some ways, it has to be in the spirit that I really have become a musician, even if I didn't start out as an inherently musical person. And, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of songs I know, many many which are candidates to be retrofitted with either violin accompaniement, or interpretation.