violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Spring - Autumn Goals (strengths, weaknesses,directions)

Weaknesses: hmmm.
1. I don't understand bow pressure well, in expressiveness.
2. too many technical to list (sight-reading evolving, timing, etc.)
3. I move on too quickly once I've experienced a piece because of this music library brain of mine.
4. Though it's improved alot, I don't always follow Hilary's advice as well as I should/could--and I want that, to be my basic standard until I can further integrate it with 'my' ways of learning 'way' down the road.
5. Coaches's choice(s) Please be honest--uh, gently but clearly.

Strengths: I could talk about me all day ;)...
1. work ethic.
2. sensitivity to music, though it's only baby steps on violin at this point.
3. thinks in tones, sounds, and experimental expressivness rather than symbols, rests, and notes. (you will see if you stick with me that this can also be a good thing--don't grin, I know what you're thinking).
4. completely dedicated to my goals, both temporary, and long term.
5. I'm my parent's favorite child, my siblings favorite sibling, my friends favorite friend, and generally a general in life. (uh, yes--I ran out of things to say in 1-4---hmm, that's hard to believe).

Directions (also known as long term goals).
1. Suzuki 10 --and not looking back.
2. efficent sight reading--I'm not thwarting my ear for anyone. efficient meaning, getting the job done.
3. better timing interpretation--it's too broad a world out there (re:Moscow Sympony v. London) to get crazy with this at my age. While I fully realize that timing defines expressivness technically, I intend on meeting it in the middle somehow--I'm just now sure how.
4. To be able to play what I want to play--Light Bach, Lionel, standards,...--expressively and efficently.
5. In combining the above, within three years, I hope to have made my sight reading and timing a generalist ally in working towards #4, without overemphasizing either.

Spring-Autumn Goals:
1. continue working with centering, balancing, cleaning up left hand, light bow hold with effective pressure, and crystallizing these spatial mechanical concepts as a technique study of their own---master vibrato much better, particularly in anticipating notes to apply it to, and especially in moving from regular hold to vibrato hold...
2. at least go ahead and finish Suzuki 3 notewise, if not expressive wise.--pretty much on my own, unless there is something I'm 'truly' stuck on.
3. begin the painful process of clapping out rhythms on the side and basically on my own, but with counsel and general direction. I've done zero on this. To me flags just mean faster, and dots slower..... Seek direction in this.
4. Number 1 belongs to coach, though 2 and 3 need brief counsel and intercession.