violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Practice Notes

violin
Practiced about four hours yesterday and last night. Jeez, I'm exhausted this morning, and feel like I was drugged or something though I wasn't. Had an excellent time last night for about three hours, to the point of actually wobbling my way back to the house about one o'clock. The closest image I can think of because I have immersed myself in this culture academically, is an old school preacher staying up all night talking scriptures or singing hymns with the elders.

I like the new violin alot, but will reserve my enthusiasm until my instructor puts the instrument through the ropes, which I hope to do Wednesday. I also worked semantically on overall direction a little as I practiced, and decided to form some somewhat abstract goals:

I'd like to be able to progress technically classically, about three or four levels beyond being able to play bluegrass, blues, and jazz with solid proficency. I'd like to have a song list that gives my instructor general ideas about where to go with me. I know she knows I'm a mess ;), and feel like this will help her figure me out a little better. I'd like to have a basic set of skills developed that include the basics: vibrato, double stops, one or two positions beyond third at my instructor's discretion as they apply to my overall goals. Although this might change, I'd like that specific song list to somewhat define some of those outer parameters.

I had a pretty good technical night, with a few warm fuzzies. Now, if I had cheated on vibrato a little, which I'm not saying I did, I wouldn't say so, but if I did...

I started teaching myself the themes from the slow movement of the Pathetique sonata (Beethoven) by ear, and it's not only going to be unbelievably beautiful, but technically valuable. I played it in D, the key that I transposed it to when I was a kid, and actually got a good deal of it... (definitely one of those warm-fuzzy moments).

I also practiced all current patterns, and went back with some basics--remember it was three hours, in my evening session.

After I finish this post, I think I'll start what I will call my song list parametized construct.