violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Practice Notes (weekend summarized)

Whoa! Where do I begin. Took Friday off from work so started weekend schedule Thursday night. Averaged an hour and a half Thursday, Friday, and thirty minutes Sunday. Played probably three hours Saturday.


Did street music Saturday and raised fifty dollars for hurricane Katrina--it was a blast. Wearing a funky house coat, ugly straw hat, and a sign that sold songs for fifty cents, or no song for a dollar, we (my cousin and I) hammed it up with great effect--overall we raised 600.


Spent a couple hours Friday with Christine Carr McGuire, a teacher from the past. She helped me with some terminology, general understanding, and overall expectations. Ms. McGuire is a graduate from the Cincinnati Conservatory. While she suggested some patience with my desire to learn vibrato, she also suggested that it's ok to learn vibrato beginning with first position.

Ms. McGuire also suggested it may be time to start extending my bow length to where I started when I first purchased the violin, starting with open string patterns--no problem there--I love that type of bowing.

Didn't get home until nearly dark last night, so I only got about thirty minutes in. Overall, the weekend was good, with some progress in strength and confidence on the etude. I did work consistently on the the 4th finger exercises my instructor wrote for me, and feel that they will be effective--very effective I hope. Practiced site reading a little (there's a story there), and it went pretty well after I turned the music right side up!!. ;)