violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Practice Notes (3rd position)

I was working with 3rd position up through Suzuki 1/10... I took a break and played "The Lord's Prayer" using the portemento, vibrato, and so forth when, I slid right into 3rd position with the vibrato in place on the high parts. ;) So very cool.


Did standard sets and so forth and so on. Worked with the Martele on etudes, and practiced them straight out, as well as trying with the stacatto. Used the 4 note slur patterns and extended the bowing a little.

I can't wait to tell Ms. McGuire about the 3rd position vibrato thing. Moreover, I can't wait to master it.

I started transferring my site-reading from 3rd position to 1st position in my mind to beging mastering the note names in 1st position. Dang mountain folk--gotta do it the hard way every time. ;)