violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Practice Notes

I've decided to start posting every few days, not because I don't like posting but because they become repetitive--unless I've had an epiphany-like moment.


During my last lesson my instructor tore me a new one over the etudes. That's what she's there for though. I've practiced a little on them this past week, but I need to get about them. I have the 8 and 4 notes slurs down now, and corrected the little f-natural issue. I still need to focus more on really drawing and pushing that bow to it's limit on the slurs. The other slurs mixed with stacatto are going to be challenging but not beyond my abilities. I'm looking forward to what they should do for my dynamics if I understand their purpose correctly.


Expressiveness is starting to improve as my left hand continues to strengthen very nicely. I'm still having a little problem with coordination but very thankful the strength is not only back but improved--I think.


I have the Ave's down now, although I still need the music for Cacinni's. I corrected the mordant on Schubert's version, and now have it initiated correctly on D--it's much more interesting as well. I started on The Lord's Prayer last night and it is beautiful--though tempered timbre-wise like the Aves. I'll learn it anyway because of the funky little phrases that actually, held me back from learning it by ear on piano.


Moon River is going to be awesome. I can get it cleanly in two octaves, and there are places where I can add accented string lines as transitions and so forth. I've added Air on the G String back to the mix, and almost have it down--again. I on the one hand wish I had stuck to my guns and kept it in the mix previously; however, my hand, 4th finger weakness, and lack of bow-length makes it really ok, that I had to get back to it. The bowing is smoothing out, and of course it's easier to learn this time around.

This past weekend I accompanied Ms. McGuire a little doing string lines and so forth. Though leaving much room to be desired, I jumped right in there and at least a few times things came together very nicely--until she started grand-standing with complex chord transitions--honary cuss!. I also played freestyle last night on some Erik Clapton, in the accompaniement context, some Al Green, and...... I'm finding I'm liking the accompaniement aspect of violin very much. I've 'always always always' loved harmony, more specifically 4 part harmony and above, so the accompaniement aspect of violin feels natural and free. This layer of my person makes me a good candidate for 2nd violin because I'm not obsessed with cadenza/solo moments as much as excellent excellent beautiful music.

With all that said, I do like pushing myself in being able to carry the melody and so forth and developing my dynamics for further work with Mozart, Celtic, maybe Russian, and definitely Bartok type of E. European colors. I threw down on a jig this past weekend, and hit it pretty darn nicely first time around.