violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Practice Notes

Wow! It's been nearly 10 days since blogging!. I don't think this is what I had in mind in consolidating my blogging activity...

Anyway, I'm much more deeply into 3rd position, having watched my strength and agility improve though not where it needs to be, signficantly. For instance I was solidly 45 minutes on 3rd position exclusively last night, even pulling the Wohlfart into the mix.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul means here, that as a result of focusing on 3rd position, I've neglected the basic etude variations somewhat.

I began laying the formal foundations for vibrato, played with richochet, shifting, and have de-emphasized portamento for the moment. I haven't focused much on martele. Learned Ms. McGuire's theme (Fascination), and I'm always picking out music from piano, though I don't always remember them.

I have found that some music from other instruments is interesting on violin and some not. I was disappointed in "I Believe in You and Me" from the Four Tops and Whitney Houston. At the same time simple things like "Old Man River" from Porgy and Bess are very cool.