violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Practice Notes

Catch Up:
Average Practice time: 2 hours plus.

Third position is going well, but still has a way to go. I've begun Suzuki 1-14, the next Minuet in third and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My stamina is improving on the etudes, though when I try to do the basic pattern in third position it became 'very' clear why hand position is so important.

I also recently began discovering note pressure, and what was an unrecognized over compensation in my third finger, and correcting the same.

Vibrato, is basically just sitting there for the moment as I hammer on 3rd position and so forth. I did pick up a couple pointers beyond what my instructor has shown me related to the need for a relaxed hand when doing vibrato.

I put new strings on today, and was well pleased.

I'm up through the excellent Brahms Waltz now, and have it memorized. I'm working on the bowing and expressiveness at this point; and, discovered in the piece before it, the little Long Long Ago slur and stacatto exercise a lot of fun. (and hopefully technique?)

My general playing list is growing nicely. I've added Ms. McGuire's song, Ebb Tide in a couple keys, the Theme from Masterpiece Theater so far in three keys, and a little Neil Diamond after hearing a girl at work talk about it. I've also found that I'm going to have to find 'some' method of keeping my list better. I learn a piece and forget that I worked on it; and, sometimes I would like to master a piece and .... so the story goes.