violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Practice Notes

violin
Practiced for two hours forty-five minutes right after work just to mix things up--plus--I had some energy...


Finally got the Etude slowed down, and got through it twice with no pain!!!!!!!! Worked my way through all basics, and made the observations, that I want to slow the Gavotte down for awhile. I HAVE to get the hang of the difference between learning the notes, and when to speed a piece up as it's causing way too much wasted effort--this playing the same phrase wrong over and over because I want to get it up to speed.


Speaking of speed, I now have everything except the Gavotte up to speed, and can play along with the piano parts on the CD. Nontheless, it's now getting to be not only up to speed I'm after but rich expressiveness... WHERE'S MY VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's criminal to make one listen to the amazing vibrato and not allow them to learn it as they go along..Yep, I'm venting again. One point is that once I start learning vibrato, there is going to be not a little but volumes of music to retrofit....


Worked through the first song in Volume two (Chorus from "Judas Maccabaeus", G.F. Handel). The piece is amazingly beautiful, and has some bowing that at least to me, is very beautiful as well. There are a couple phrases with slurs leading from a three quarters to an eighth note that are very nice to play; and, tease me with expressiveness. I got them first pass. There are a couple phrases I'm still learning, but have played through them. I'm certain that I'll be playing this song for a long long time if it's up to me.


Once again, I've played my hand tired.

I need to find out about cleaning the violin.

Minor Epiphany:
I mentioned earlier, that one of the things that I need to work on is slowing down. The notable part is grounded in the fact that the way I just grabbed the notes on piano and did my own thing, most often listening to the music for nuances, and then jumping into interpretation, makes it necessary for me to use the metronome, count the beats, and then slow it it's down for awhile on violin. While I've written in my book, 'slow down' several times, this is different in that it's actually a little odd that I honestly did not have the skills to slow down... I hope the metrononme will help--I think so, actually. I also am starting a progress note in my mind, to test my theory that learning to slow down will actually improve the efficency of my learning.

SUMMA: The etude--no pain--yes gain.