violin

This is a blog about my violin journey. It is also a place-keeper, so that in those clear moments when I can get a progress note on paper, I do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: War, West Virginia, United States

born in the mountains, climbed the mountain, tilled the rocky soil, heard the song of the hollows, and learned the names of the stars on a cold clear winter night on my favorite ridge, 'everyman's' chapel.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Practice Notes

Played two hours and fifteen minutes again. Would have played more, but my focus went awry so I cut it off when I started getting sloppy. Laura, from Lisle Music in Huston Texas said she normally doesn't go over two hours for about the same reasons, so I'm guessing I'm in pretty good company.


The, actually second etude--I forgot about the small one in Suzuki one, is coming along pretty good. Every day or so I discover a tiny bit more strength and clarity. Again I played it at a few different tempos. Played the Gavotte in the same contexts.


Practiced the Handel song quite a bit, and it's coming along nicely. I'm getting past that fourth finger to open E rift fairly quickly. Also played the last several from Suzuki One, and earlier I did all the basics.

I'm starting to notice the relationship between bow pressure, bowing speed, and bow tension just a little. When I say notice, I'm saying half-formed thoughts at this point. I'd really like to be around some gifted violin players and just watch their mechanics, kinetics, and so forth.

Anyway, it was a good but so-so session. I really really need to get back on third position.